Mythology & Folklore Topic Brainstorm

One of the topics I'm interested in involves the gods and goddesses of Japan. I'm interested in these deities because I've come across things inspired by or named after a couple like Tsukuyomi and Susanoo, so I want to research and learn about the source material and the stories they come from, before retelling them in a modern setting or even futuristic.

Greek mythology is also something I'm heavily interested in as I grew up reading the Percy Jackson series, and all my friends around me were obsessed with the idea of being the child of a Greek god or goddess. I know a majority of the major Greek gods, but I'd love to research the lesser known ones and incorporate them into a modern setting, like Thanatos

Robin Hood has already been represented in media in various time periods, but I haven't seen an iteration where he's placed in some dystopic future, which I think would be a great setting for his character. A world run by those with too much power, leading to the ruin of those beneath them, only to be stopped by one hero with a vision. My knowledge of Robin Hood is merely the basics as I have never read any books about him, but my idea would be to take the concepts and apply them as teachings to an entirely different character. 

Japanese ghost stories are an interesting topic to me just because of how intricate they are compared to common American ghost stories. Superstition is far more widespread in east Asia and I think that taking old warnings and stories to be applied to a different time period or cultural setting would still carry the weight of the original story, if not make it more exciting. While I have not read too many ghost stories, I am familiar with Japanese horror such as the works of Junji Ito, a mangaka famous for his horror works.



Comments

Popular Posts