Microfiction: Two Tiny Knight Stories

The Drawing of the Blade

There was once a legend amongst the members of the Tyger Claws gang. Those who had the strength to retrieve the legendary blade Tsumetogi would become the new leader of the Tyger Claws, and lord over Japantown. The blade, placed in a shrine in the heart of Japantown, electrocuted anyone deemed unworthy to wield it. Many a gangster tried, but none were successful. Then one day, an outsider by the name of Yorinobu Arasaka approached the blade. The crowd around him drew in their breaths. As his hand wrapped around the blade, it came free.

The Aftermath

The sun shone down on the cheering crowd praising their new savior. But the light did not reveal the malicious grin on his face hidden in the shadows.

Author's note: In the original story of King Arthur and Excalibur, the sword was set in stone and only the true king would be able to pull it free. The man who wielded it would be by right of birth the King of England. For the Cyberpunk setting, rather than a kingdom, I had the sword be part of a smaller culture belonging to Japantown. Rather than rule a kingdom, the man who could wield it would take over the local gang and lead the district. My second microfiction is meant to show that their savior is in fact a fraud with unknown intentions.

Web source: King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang

Comments

  1. It's nice to read a story this short! I'm one to talk since I approach the upper limits every time. I haven't played Cyberpunk, but I did get some kind of sci-fi gang vibe. I guess that's another way of saying Cyberpunk. That's an interesting ending to have the one who wields the sword be a bad guy. Can you also explain to me your thoughts on why you chose the word "amongst" and not among? That's a genuine question. I don't know the answer. Wake up, samurai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron,

    Love the story! I like how you used your shorter, second story to compliment the first story. I also love the fact that the stories were shorter, but it did not feel like it was forced or anything was missing. I thought you made great use of the word count and created an awesome story under the limitations! What would have happened next? How will Yorinobu use his new power, and how will he be stopped? Great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts